Holding the Love in Our Hearts: SF Pride 2016
We marched with our brothers and sisters in the dharma in the Pride Parade for Racial and Economic Justice on Sunday, June 26, 2016 to show our love and support.
Larry Yang, this year’s Community Grand Marshall and a teacher at East Bay Meditation Center and Spirit Rock, is the first Buddhist teacher to lead a Pride Parade. We were honored that Larry was our Pride Weekend speaker at City Center on Saturday, June 25, giving the dharma talk at 10:15 am. You can watch the Livestream here. He and Queer Dharma co-founder Jisan Tova Green also led a post-parade sitting at City Center at 4:30 pm on Sunday.
Here is a short video by San Francisco Pride 2016 about Larry, his teaching at East Bay Meditation Center and Spirit Rock, and his transformative life journey.
SFZC Pride Weekend
Saturday, June 25
- 10:15 am Dharma Talk by Larry Yang, Buddha Hall, City Center, 300 Page Street, San Francisco, CA 94102
Sunday, June 26
- 7:30 am Breakfast at City Center, 300 Page Street, San Francisco
- 8:30 am Assemble at City Center and walk together or take MUNI to the start of the parade route
- 10:00 am Our parade position: 37
Block J: Spear Street between Market and MissionVehicles need to be in place by 9:00 amMarchers in place by 10:00 am
- 4:30 pm Sitting in the Buddha Hall at City Center, led by Larry Yang and Jisan Tova Green (in partnership with East Bay Meditation Center and Spirit Rock)
Meanwhile, at Green Gulch Farm, the Pride Weekend Sunday morning Dharma Talk at 10 am will be by Abiding Abbess Furyu Schroeder.
We need volunteers to march, carry banners, pass out flyers, come to the breakfast and wash dishes afterward, help decorating the float, and have a joyful time participating in this wonderful sangha event.
We especially need contingent monitors.
If you would like to be a contingent monitor, please take the training online at this link and let us know that you have done that. Once you watch it, you will be asked to proceed to a survey site, where you can register that you are trained. You MUST do the survey — this is how we will track that SFZC has met our monitor training obligation.
SFZC Pride Contingent Coordinator